Ecological footprints assignment

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:56 PM by Abdul-Kareem M. Mohammed

OBSERVATIONS ABOUT THE TWO TESTS
I never knew there was a way I could measure my ecological footprint, Thanks to Earth Charter Initiative, now I know.

The similarities between the two methods of footprint measurements were many. These made believe the process somehow. For instance, number of people in the house, distance travel, energy saving equipment, presence of garden, type of house/home, availability of dustbins and organic food consumption level. All these cut across the two methods.

Frankly, what I was not comfortable at all was the question that tries to know the company that I bought my equipment. Not that it was wrong but the options listed were common in my country as such I could not give an exact answer for that.

The only difference I observed was the final results of the test which was quite stricken. On a whole, my ecological footprint is below my country’s average for both measurements.

Unlike the bioregional solution for sustainability whist states that given my footprint as average for everybody, the world will need 2.8 planets to support us. The other estimates 0.21 earths are needed to support us on earth if my footprint is world’s average.

I may attribute the difference to the specific nature of some questions from one method and the loose nature of the other.

I actually have a reservation about the yawning gap between the two methods. Despite that, I trust both systems for the seemingly similar indicators used. I think it will do the world some good if efforts will be made to let people know more about their ecological footprint and its impact on the sustainability on the earth.